Saturday, January 6, 2018

Falling

I was suddenly looking up between two walls of snow. The walls had the smoothness that only a snow blower could have carved. No more than two feet apart, the walls of snow were about a foot high.

I had fallen. No warning. The thickness of my down parka had protected me as I tripped on the sidewalk within sight of my home.

I looked down at the sidewalk and listened for the approach of anyone nearby who might have seen my tumble. Apparently no one had. I checked for pain as I rolled over. No movement caused any immediate discomfort.

Soon enough I was up, easing my weight on each leg as I walked the remaining distance to the gate and my front walkway.

Inside the house I explained to Jim what had happened. There wasn’t any indication, though, that I could not continue with the tasks he and I had planned. So out we went.

I just hadn’t imagined lying outside flat on the pavement, the temperatures about me as cold as they had been. Would I have looked to random onlookers as a man in his sixties unsure of his step? Did I fit the description of the kind of neighbor about whom forecasters had been alerting us all last week?

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

No matter what you looked like or what others would have thought, I am just glad that you are ok.

Dave said...

Perhaps investing in a new pair of outdoor shoes with sharp cleats may be in order! I too am very happy you rose from the snowy tomb unscathed! At our age, embarrassment is the least of our concerns where accidental falls are concerned. Where I am, not snow, but muddy paths serve to make me wary given the weaker knees of of this 71 year old!
Steady as you go, friend.
Dave

Anonymous said...

Mauvaise chûte..Vous avez eu de la chance !!!J'espère que le mauvais temps est fini .Ici ,dans le sud de la France le temps est correct .

Amitiés . J d'Avignon

JamesLynch said...

Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would enjoy your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail. pompano beach apartments for rent by owner