Monday, October 12, 2009

How I Live These Days

In the past two weeks I have bought one person a birthday gift.

In the past two weeks I have attended someone else’s funeral.

In the past two weeks I have held a six-month-old in my arms and felt his hands in my beard.

In the past two weeks I have sent flowers to people who are grieving.

In the past two weeks I have attended a performance of Mozart’s Requiem and a production of August Wilson’s Fences.

In the past two weeks I have driven a hundred miles to sit with a friend whose parents had both been hospitalized the week before.

In the past two weeks I have watched in six episodes Ken Burns' documentary film on the National Parks.

In the past two weeks I have visited the grave of Henry James.

In the past two weeks I have fried crawfish tails and baked stuffed bell peppers.

In the past two weeks I have sat by an open window on a cool morning and prayed with a verse from the prophet Haggai: “Go up into the hill country and build a house; and I will take pleasure in it, says the Lord.”

I think I am indeed building such a house. And in a way I am living there.

5 comments:

Ellie said...

I often enjoy your writing over a cup of coffee in the early morning. This morning, as I head back to work after our Thanksgiving weekend, I will think about the structures I am building...

Ur-spo said...

You have had a meaningful two weeks. I am envious.

Kimberly said...

Thousands of miles away, a friend is smiling for you and sending up on the blooming hibiscus glory of rising Spring a prayer of deep praise for the center-down fullness of being your weeks seem to have been.

Jim said...

Thank you.

John said...

If even half of what feels worthy of record about a two-week period had been planned ahead of time, the record would have all the interest of a calendar dutifully kept.

Thanks, friends, for sometimes being part of the delightfully unplanned and the solidly unexpected.